digital camera with manual controls
- DSLR camera with at least 10 megapixels*: Canon Rebel series SLR, Nikon D3000 or D5000 series SLRs.
- You should try the camera before purchasing it. The camera size, weight and controls can positively or negatively impact your photos and practice.
- Sturdy tripod to support your camera*.
camera digital storage cards
- Two (2) 32 GB cards.
universal digital card reader
- Make sure the reader is compatible with your camera digital storage card.
transportable storage access
- Cloud access (eg. Dropbox, Google Drive, etc..) to upload photos.
- USB Flash drives or external drives are also acceptable and recommended as back up. If using just physical drives make sure they are always in your possession.
camera and lens cleaning supplies
- Microfiber lens cloth. (eg. Zeizz)
- Alcohol-Based lens cleaner. (eg. Zeizz)
- Squeeze bulb
access to Adobe Photoshop and Bridge
- WCC offers access to Adobe Photoshop and Bridge (Creative Cloud) in certain computer labs in the main campus (Valhalla), at the Center for the Arts (White Plain) and at the Center for Digital Arts (Peekskill) sites. Check the course site for updated locations.
- A free 30 day trial version of Adobe Photoshop CC can be downloaded from Adobe’s website after registering: http://www.adobe.com/downloads.edu.html
- A discounted student subscription to Adobe Photography (Includes Photoshop) or the entire Adobe Creative Suite can be purchased here: (You will need a valid college email address) https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=edu
- You are required to print your contact sheets and photographs.
- WCC offers laser printers in the computer labs. Read WCC Printing Policies.
- Your best photos should be printed in ink jet printers with high quality inkjet paper. WCC offers a few ink jet printers in the Valhalla campus, Center for the Arts and Center for the Digital Arts. You should consider printing your photos at specialty printing locations such as CVS, Staples, etc.
- Consider using Krylon Preserve It to protect your inkjet prints against moisture, fading and smudges. https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K07027000-Preserve-Aerosol-Finish/dp/B00AQ72JHE
manila folders for turning in assignments
3-ring presentation binder with clear plastic sleeves for prints/documents